Wednesday, March 7, 2012

writing

For Opa's birthday, which happens to be today, Annike wrote her name for the very first time!! It is Uncle Ryan's birthday today too, but Annike only wrote her name once... sorry Ryan!  Opa is a little bit older and perhaps he has earned the honor of Annike's name in his card the most.


Can you see it?  Don't let the big fish next to the letter "A" throw you off.  The rest of her name is at the bottom.  The squiggly lines at the top are what she usually writes in cards and calls "writing".  She insists that I read it back to her, because after all, she can't read.  "Since you know how to write, isn't it time to learn to read?" I ask her.  This argument carries no weight.

I know that Annike has been capable of writing her name for a while now, but has simply not wanted to try.  Trying meant to her that she might fail.  It is a little heart-breaking to see such a young child so afraid of failing. The over-achiever in me wanted her to be an over-achiever and learn to write her name early (just being honest here, folks!)  But kids don't really work like that.


As her mother, my job is not to push her into things that I want her to do.  My job, instead, is to understand the little person that God created her to be, and help her become the best version of herself.  This has little to do with academics and a lot to do with shepherding her little personality.  In this case, it is understanding that she is a sit-back-and-observe kind of girl who will not perform on anyone else's agenda.  And when I put it that way, I think that is a pretty good personality trait to have.


So, the next time she writes her name will be, once again, on her timetable.  For all I know, it might be next year.  In the mean time I am going to shepherd, direct, and channel this special child of mine who is emerging out of toddler-hood into a little person.  The good stuff can't be rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's fun to hear what YOU think!