Monday, November 9, 2009

my story

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the monotony of life. There is a prideful desire in me for my life to be something "important" or "great". It is often difficult to see greatness in the mundane tasks of day to day life... waking up at night with a baby, doing the dishes, picking up after the others that live in the house with me for the umpteenth time today.

I want to have a story to tell at the end of my life... not just a story about me, but a story about God and how I participated with Him in the work He does here on Earth. It doesn't all seem to fit.

It has impacted me recently that the Bible is full of ordinary people and ordinary events. They all piece together to tell God's story - the Great Story about who He is. God used women who did their own laundry and men who plowed fields to tell us about Himself. He used humble hearts. He used people that found joy in their humble day to day tasks.

God is writing His great story in the ordinary events of my life. It is tempting to try to write my own story of importance... maybe get my Master's degree, or fill my day up with social events and a job I can call my own (as opposed to the job of being a mom and a wife, which never quite sounds like a "real" job coming out of my mouth).

Ultimately, I know that God wants to tell His story through THIS life that I have now. He wants to tell His story through me finding joy in ordinary events.


"Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity..."
Ephesians 5:15-16

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite post of yours so far. You communicate so well what so many of us feel. And it's so good to be reminded that God is using whatever it is we give our time to every day for purposes that exist far beyond what we can, with human eyes, see... whether we're doing something the world might label big and important or something we tend to, with a worldly view, belittle as so much less important and small.

    I'm glad you're blogging! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete

It's fun to hear what YOU think!