Wednesday, October 20, 2010

the grocery store

The grocery store was so crowded this morning. My cart was inevitably in someones way, and I really was trying to make a quick dash in and out. I was digging through the meat section next to another man, who was also digging. I was, of course, in his way. Starting to complain to him, and justify my presence so that I didn't feel so bad about blocking his access to the meats, I grouched, "The store is so crowded today! I was told that Tuesday mornings were the best days for shopping. So much for that!" He said, "Today is Wednesday."

Oh.

It is so easy to find something to complain about. And so easy to start a conversation with a negative thought, because frankly, when I am being negative I have a lot in common with the rest of the world. Shopping with a two-year-old often makes me feel rushed. And I must travel around the store with some kind of harried, desperate look on my face because more than once, someone has yielded to me saying "You look like you are in a hurry..."

When I was teaching full time, my grocery shopping was limited to rush hour or Saturdays. Now I am limited only by a nap schedule. My "hurry" in the store is just a result of being a somewhat disorganized mom, timing our shopping trip when Annike should be eating lunch. Instead of complaining because I think I should be the only one shopping in the grocery store before noon, I want to cultivate a grateful heart. Time to to take a step back and say "Let me wait patiently over here while you search through the meats!"

Today, I want to share just a few of the simple things I am thankful for:
1. I have an hour or more of quiet before my daughter wakes up from her nap!
2. An easy dinner is planned for tonight!
3. My daughter is sleeping through the night!
4. It is fireplace and pumpkin season!
5. The apples in our yard taste delicious!

My family is wonderful, we have a set of fantastic friends, God in my life makes all things possible. What more do I have to complain about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's fun to hear what YOU think!