Friday, November 29, 2013

thank you

We had one of the best Thanksgivings ever. Celebrating with the family I grew up with. Besides the great food was the great company, which seems to get better every year. Thanksgivings keep getting better, as life keeps getting fuller, and the things we have to be thankful for multiply.

Reflecting on the things I have to be thankful for this season, over and over I come back to being reminded about the amazing people in my life... my children, my husband, my parents, my family, my friends.

The past few months have been a transitional season for us as we added a fifth little body to our family. The regular daily routines got tough for a while, but we are getting back to normal (the new form of normal, of course) and I would like to dedicate this post to the people who helped make that happen. I am especially thankful for the people who gave freely of themselves to help meet my family's emotional and physical needs during these post-baby months. Some were good close friends, some family members, and some people I might have only considered acquaintances until recently. All of them were living examples of Christ to me.

Simple things have humbled me with gratitude... like someone from Annike's school who sent home a goody bag with some special treats for me after the baby was born. And people who offered to pick up my daughter at school so I didn't have to climb into the car. And others who offered to take my 2-year-old so I could rest, even if I never took them up on it. And all of the amazing women who made a trek out to our house to bless us with a home-cooked meal, and save us from ordering pizza again. Someone even brought us a meal from 2 and a half hours away... humbling.

I am thankful. I am oh so thankful...
...for the people in my life who are filled with the wisdom of God and share freely, deeply, about their own experiences.

... who send me notes to say they care.

... who call me up, who text me, who send me an email just to check in.

... who showed up to surprise me on my birthday.

... who took time off of work to help me when the baby arrived.

... who ask me specifics about my life and challenge me to be more.

... who love me even though they recognize, and are sometimes bombarded with, all of my faults.

... who urge me to let some things go.

... who selflessly encourage others.

... who tell me I look good even when I know I don't.

... who love my kids like their own kids.

... who enjoy holding my baby.

... who have passed on baby clothing and baby needs to me.

... who are Godly examples to my children.

... who know just what to say when I am discouraged.

Sometimes it doesn't feel like enough.to just say thank you.

The thing about this list is that it involves so many separately wonderful people. No single person could have spread so much love. It was simple, small acts done by individuals that added up to be a huge collective blessing. Thank you for filling my heart with so many reasons to be thankful. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's fun to hear what YOU think!