Friday, August 12, 2011

fishers

Camping is not something that should be done at 8 months pregnant.  I remember saying that the last time I was 8 months prego and went camping for a week.  This time around I had no excuse to complain, because I knew exactly what it was going to be like - and chose to go anyway! 


We did have some help as we went with my parents and their R.V. - which makes a big difference.  I still can't exactly describe the vacation as "relaxing", but we had some quality family time and made lasting memories together...

... like taking Annike fishing for the first time.


Courtright Lake near Shaver Lake/Dinky Creek area

She might have lasted a little longer if she had actually caught something.  Christian made up for Annike's lack-of-stamina with his grave determination to catch enough for us to eat dinner every night.  This desire did not exactly pan out.  Despite hours and hours and hours of genuine effort, there were only two trout left in all of Dinky Creek that allowed themselves to be snared by Christian's hook.

Of course, this greatly increased the joy of finally getting a good one!


Seeing the disappointment on Christian's face every afternoon that he returned to camp empty-handed, makes me think of the Biblical story of Jesus calling his first fishermen disciples.  Simon Peter must have felt just as doubtful and discouraged when Jesus told him to cast his net into the water one more time (Luke 5).  You can almost hear the frustration in his voice when he replies "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."

In other words:  I respect you, so I will try it.  But I really can't imagine catching any fish right now... Just short of rolling his eyes. 

I imagine the frustration to have been tangible in Simon's countenance, coloring his ability to listen to what Jesus had been teaching about only moments before.  In his case, his ability to eat and afford a modest living was truly dependent upon his catch.  Oh so much more than a hobby. 

The bad luck of the previous night fishing, perhaps even the previous month, only increases his amazement at what happens next.  The number of fish was so vast that the nets broke, the boats began sinking, AND they had to call over their friends to come and help them.  How often did they catch so many fish that they shared them with other fishermen? 

Simon's reaction is beautiful.  He is immediately humbled by the miracle, and confronted by his own lack of faith.  "...he fell at Jesus' knees and said, 'Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!'"  All of this to show the disciples that the nets will be breaking and the boats will be sinking when God sent them out as fishers of men. 

It makes sense to me that it might be hard to believe that people would want to listen to the truth about our Savior.  It makes sense that Jesus had to prove to the disciples that they could trust Him in their physical world so that they would also put their trust in Him regarding Spiritual matters, and intangible things.  Our God is not limited by the physical circumstances that limit us, so why should He be limited by non-physical matters?  Yet, my faith is often lacking most in those areas... like trusting Him to guide me as I pray... acting with integrity when no one is looking... believing people can change... believing that I can change.

The story of Jesus calling his disciples isn't really about the miracle of too many fish, but about the faith response of these humble fishermen. 
"They pulled their boats up on shore, left everything, and followed Him."
(Luke 5:11)

Oh that my response would be the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's fun to hear what YOU think!